Thursday, July 24, 2008

Many first this year


White Wisteria


Pink Peony Blossom

Just because we live in the city does not mean we have to have city living. This year is a year of first for many plants in my city garden. AND this is my FIRST entry to my blog so it is only suiting that this be about FIRSTS! So here goes and bear with me as I learn about blogging!

My yard could very easily be described as English garden or cottage style. I also make it up as I go along, some times things just happen. I call those happy mistakes. I am best described as a lazy perfectionist, so if the garden mistake is good and it works I am keeping it. I plant close together trying to use every inch of usable space I can. Yard space after all is a "premium" in the city.

Years ago, I planted peonies, wisteria, a trumpet vine and every year I do an assortment of veggies. This year I had my first peony flowers, my first wisteria flower ( I was graced with one single blossom!).

And to round things out I am throwing in a picture of my first tomatoes of the season! Notice the Zinnia planted in the same pot as the tomatoes. The reason I plant them in the same pot is because Zinnia's attract bees and bees are pollinators. The more pollination your tomato plants have the more tomatoes it will produce. This potted tomato on my deck has 22 tomatoes on it right now! I know you can not see them all but believe me they are there. I am not quite sure why some of my leaves are yellowing. Tomato stress? If you are a tomatoe expert please share your thoughts and tomato growing tips by leaving a comment!



I am still waiting on my first bloom from my trumpet vine. Maybe next year......



Thanks for Reading!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds to me like you are a tomato expert! I have a brown thumb, but the kids and I are trying to grow some tomato plants because... well, we had some tomato seeds and some dirt... We'll see how it goes!

Congratulations on starting your blog! I look forward to browsing some more.

Blog said...

I wish I was a tomato expert! This year my tomato plants are out of control I have one that is 6 feet tall right now!