Sunday, August 10, 2008

The little Tornado that would!


You know how they say Tornado's do not come near big cities? Well, being that I have been without power for several days, because SOMETHING ripped the power lines out in my neighborhood .... I am ready to testify that they indeed do! Last Tuesday a huge storm hit the city of Chicago. You know CHICAGO - with skyscrapers. Home of the new Donald Trump ginormous building? Home of the Cubs (Go Cubs!) and Ms. Oprah.

Here we were Tuesday evening - finger painting in the kitchen, rocking out to the music on the radio and the tornado sirens go off. I immediately thought "wow, that is a loud fire truck". After my total blond moment had passed, I came to realization that the incredible gust of winds and thunderous rain storm had something to do with that siren. Oh and of course the radio DJ helped out a little bit too as he said "get into the basement stupid" over the airwaves. Announcing to all that a funnel was circling at that very moment but a 2 miles west of my home. Later this funnel would rip through an area about a mile South of me.

As my son and I hid under the stairs in the basement seeking protection. I was rethinking about WHY exactly I bought my charming 94 yr old Queen Anne Farm house as she rattled and groaned in the wind. I felt like one of the 3 little pigs. Specifically, the one who built the house made out of straw and I could not help but think - oh how I wish you were brick! With that in mind, I am not so sure that story really is about a big bad wolf ! The lesson in that book REALLY is all about tornado safety!

Well here it is several days later and I have been thinking about this tornado that would dare come to the city. This is the 2nd one in a year! The last one was in August 0f 2007. This one also caused significant damage to my neighborhood. I have been thinking about why? WHY are they coming to my little street and I think I know the answer! There can only be one reason. They are simply confused and their arrival corresponds with my neighbor residing her house. It is her fault she has confused the tornado Gods with her Barn like house. They (the Tornado Gods) must think this is farm country and not the city after all. I am willing to bet she put a humgo weather vain on top of her house (guiding them here) to complete the themeing (sp) and I just cannot see it from the ground.


Here is the before picture - it is an improvement. Sorry, I only have a picture of half of the house before. But then again, is it really necessary to see all of a house that color?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in tornado land - I don't even move my family unless the sky is green and it smells funny - so, we will probably be swept away some day.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

That's such a cute house, though! We live in PA where tornadoes are not all that common, but oh and behold one ripped through our tiny country town in 1998 causing over a million dollars of damange.

P.S. I grew up in the city :o) and we moved here after the tornado, but whenever I hear people talk about it I still think, "Wouldn't have happened in Philly!" Craziness!

Blog said...

Ann -The sky was that funny green color and it did smell odd. That is when I started to worry. This happening has changed my whole perspective on tornado's and the city.

Kelly you like the house? LOL! My whole block was upset about it. I think it is cute, but out of place in the city. There is another one on our block that is light gray & white and GORGEOUS!